The grounds of the two-acre Mansion complex are used extensively for entertaining by the Governor and First Lady.
The grounds are enclosed with brick and wrought-iron fences. First Lady Nellie Connally established a formal landscape plan in the 1960s. The Connally gardens contain a fountain pool, a pergola and colonnade, and brick walkways.
A replica of the 1870s gazebo was constructed on the south lawn during the early 1980s restoration. The Carriage House was constructed around 1900. The beautifully landscaped grounds that once contributed to the First Family’s food supply and stabled the family horses now serve many functions, both private and public.