The Conservatory was constructed in 1914 during an addition to the Governor’s Mansion. Decorated less formally than the rest of the Mansion, it has served as an informal dining room for the governor’s family since it was built. It has also often been called the “Family Dining Room.”
As Texas grew and the need for formal entertaining increased, the Conservatory evolved from a family room to a room for entertaining family and friends. During the 1979-1982 restoration/renovation, this dual use was the primary consideration when selecting furniture.