The Library appears essentially as it did when the Governor’s Mansion was constructed in 1856. The mantel was used as a model for the other mantels during the 1979-1982 restoration/renovation because it was the only original mantel in the house and was similar in design to mantels seen in other Austin houses built by Abner Cook. At various times, the room has been called the “Library”, the “Reading Room”, the “Southeast Drawing Room”, and the “Green Room.” The Library was named the green room because it was decorated in various shades of green.