The Large and Small Parlors have been used for formal entertaining since the Governor’s Mansion was built. The original fireplaces and mantels were simply designed and similar to those now in the Library and State Dining Room. In 1901, First Lady Orline Sayers added formal mantels, ornate plaster cove ceiling moldings, and the large, tilted over-mantel mirrors.
The Texas Legislature allocated $2,500 for Governor and Mrs. Elisha M. Pease to furnish the Mansion when it was completed in 1856. The Pease’s used their personal furniture throughout the Mansion. While it was comfortable, this room continued to be sparsely and inconsistently furnished through the years.